This is a post on Coffee House Writers by D Kent about backlinks and how to use them to your advantage. It is good for all writers trying to build a platform and want to learn the ins and outs of SEO and rankings on Google. Feel free to read the full article here. I hope this is helpful to some of you!
10 Points About Backlinks by D Kent
Google determines their website ranking by Search Engine Optimization (SEO). One of the main factors in Google’s high SEO ranking is Backlinks. Sometimes backlinks are called Inbound Links. For this article, we will call them backlinks for the sake of simplicity.
1. What are Backlinks? The word itself is a hint to its meaning. A Backlink is an off-site Linkthat leads Back to your site. Here is an example: this article is posted on CoffeeHouseWriters.com, and I am providing you with a link back to my site here: waltzfreelance.com– boom, backlinked.
2. Images can be used as backlinks as well. Simply set the alt tag of the image with a URL link to your site.
3. Google sees your number of backlinks a little like votes–the more you have, the higher you rank.
4. However, unlike votes, the links are also ranked by quality. So, if The New York Times has a link on one of their articles or within their web copy to your site it will be seen by Google as more valuable than a link from, let’s say, Bob’s Carpentry.
5. Another aspect Google looks for in quality backlinks is how related the [Read More]